Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. ——–Friedrich Nietzsche
APPROXIMATION OF THE INCIDENT
An incidence of assault has been covered. On the night of 21 March 2021, the 3 boys from the tribal community of Meghalaya were assaulted in a golf link. Later on 28 March 2021, one Pherlangroi Myrthong, 20, was declared dead at around 4.45 am in morning at the North Eastern Indira Gandhi Regional Institute of Health and Medical Sciences (NEIGRIHMS).¹
Statements of eyewitnesses were recorded by the police department led by East Khasi Hills district police chief, “Sylvester Nongtnger.”
- “That the victims were part of a group playing football at Golf Links on March 21 at around 5 pm.”
- “After the game, they stayed back and consumed local liquor. Later in the evening more people arrived in the area to partake in similar activities.”
- “The victim’s party got into an altercation with one such group but eventually they compromised and began revelling together.”
- “That the loud noise emanating from their group irked a third party in the vicinity who reacted by pelting beer bottles towards the victim’s group.”
- “The eyewitnesses further revealed that the members of the third party belong to a tribal community of Meghalaya as per their language and accent. Thereafter, the eyewitnesses fled from the area,”
KSU TAKE ON THE INCIDENT WITH A XENOPHOBIC-ATTITUDE & WITH LIES
Since time immemorial in the state of Meghalaya, where there were definitely communal angles on the incidents happening within the State, like the incidents of native Vs outsiders time and again reoccurring,   the local authorities & pressure groups & especially “Khasi Student Union” chooses to refute the same & keeps silence.
But where there are absolutely no communal angles in the incidents like of 21 March 2021, the instant matter that we are discussing, the leaders of Khasi Student Union like Donald V. Thabah (General Secretary), Lambokstar Marngar (President), goes on rampaging in the State the havoc of lies & social paranoia with regards to such incidents which are actually supposed to be understood as a mere clash between the groups and not premeditated communal attack.
STATEMENTS BY KSU LEADERS WHICH IS SOCIALLY DEPRESSING & IS A FIGMENT OF IMAGINATION
- “The KSU members would be arrested and now where is the technology to arrest the culprits. Why is it difficult to arrest non-Khasis ?” Donald V. Thabah (General Secretary) said.
- He was speaking at a public rally at Mawkyrwat market on 31 March, 2021, he criticised those who are quick to condemn the death of non-Khasis but are mum when Khasi gets assaulted or dies.
- At the rally of 31 March, 2021, at Mawkyrwat market, people held placards that read, “Meghalaya Police! Are they conniving with murderous non- tribals since 1979?”.
- Biangbor Paliar (Vice president) asserted that the police would be swift to arrest those who are involved in harassing non-Khasis whereas they delay in nabbing culprits who assault Khasis.
- “It has been over one week and yet no arrests have been made. The law applies only to the Khasis and not to the non-Khasis”, he said.
- Forwardman Nongrem (President KSU South West Khasi Hills Circle) claimed that the police are conniving with the non-Khasis since the culprits of the Golf Links incident have not yet been arrested.
- Lambokstar Marngar (President) said “If any Khasi quarrels with non-Khasis, the police department is prompt in arresting those involved. They arrest Khasi youths and highlight their achievements in the media with not only the names but pictures of the arrested persons.”
- The KSU has also warned the non-tribals asking them to stop provoking the union.
KSU HAVE BEEN SLAMMED LEGITIMATELY FOR ITS INCITING & XENOPHOBIC ATTEMPTS
- As a veiled response to KSU threat of taking its own action on the Golf Links assault case, the state government has sounded a word of caution to all concerned against making a mountain out of a molehill of the incident and asserted that whoever will break the law will be brought to book.
- East Khasi Hills district police chief, “Sylvester Nongtnger”, had dismissed the “communal angle” in the assault and had stated that during initial enquiry, statement of eyewitnesses were recorded revealing that the victims were part of a group playing football.
- On March 25, 2021, Deputy Chief Minister Prestone Tynsong said “Why should we communalise it? This type of incident happens every day. You cannot say it’s on communal line,”
- Echoing a similar perspective, senior BJP leader and Health Minister, AL Hek, said that Meghalaya should come out of the culture of communalising incidents as hatred begets hatred.
- “Most of the incidents I have seen are communalised when it actually is not a communal issue, which creates a lot of tension in the otherwise peaceful state,” said Hek.
- He showed non-acceptance to communal politics. 
- The state youth wing president of Khun Hynniewtrep National Awakening Movement (KHNAM), Thomas Passah said that it was important to condemn such incidents, and at the same time he very widely remarked that people who are trying to communalise the stray incidents are themselves communal.
- Police have arrested eight persons in connection with the incident, & the same must be of utmost surprise for KSU as East Khasi Hills district Superintendent of Police Sylvester Nongtnger said that those involved in the case are all tribals.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently. ——–Friedrich Nietzsche